Shelbourne made the journey across Dublin to Stradbrook to take on Cabinteely on Saturday afternoon. Cabinteely were coming into the game on the back of a point against fellow Dublin side UCD, while Shelbourne were narrowly eliminated on penalties by Premier Division side Shamrock Rovers in the EA Sports Cup during the week.

Eddie Gormley opted for the same starting 11 as last weeks encounter against UCD. Cabo lining out in a 4-5-1 formation for the Dublin Derby.

The game started evenly with neither side creating any clear cut chances. Cabinteely started well however and enjoyed good spells of possession in the opening period. Cabo had a number of half chances, Hanrahan was nearly played through by Brilly before Brennan’s shot from the edge of the box was dragged wide of the post.

Brennan then went close with a header after he rose highest to meet a brilliant cross by Brilly from the right wing.

Shelbourne however were the team to find the breakthrough and it came from former Cabo player Sodiq Oguntola for his fourth goal against Cabo this season.¬†After Cabo were caught in possession at the back, the ball was pulled back to English who’s shot at an open goal hit the crossbar and Oguntola rose highest to head the rebound home from close range.

Shelbourne doubled their lead just before half time when a clever Oguntola backheel created a Shelbourne chance which was pulled back to English who finished with ease from eight yards out.

Cabinteely fans thought their side had pulled a goal back in the second half when Boyle’s corner was whipped in at pace and appeared it had crossed the line before being turned around for another corner.

Cabinteely were largely limited to shots from outside the box with Brennan, Hanrahan and Boyle all trying their luck but this was to be as close as Cabinteely came to an equaliser.

Captain Edward McDonagh was forced off through injury in the second half, Gormley will be hoping it is just a minor knock with a trip to Waterford United looming next Friday.

Shelbourne added gloss to the scoreline with goals in the 88th minute and injury time. Walshe got on the scoresheet when Shels counterattacked with Cabo committing men forward. The fourth was added in injury time. Michael Kelly brilliant saved a penalty but Dylan Grimes scored from the resulting rebound.