Waterford came into this game knowing that anything but a win at Stradbrook would leave them at the foot of the table. As it was a  ‘6 pointer’ both Eddie Gormley and Roddy Collins were slightly cautious in their team lineups, both opting for a 4-5-1 formation. Gormley’s team was heavily influenced by the injuries his squad picked up in Friday night’s game with McGlynn, Foley & Campbell all still unavailable after picking up injuries. Jamie Broderick, Karl Byrne and Lloyd Cairns replaced the trio while Kevin Knight and Ed McDonagh also came in to the starting 11 replacing Darren Clarke and Josh Quinlivan. With the games coming thick and fast for Cabinteely this week, Gormley is fortunate to have squad depth following the transfer window, of which he can now rotate.

While fans may have expected a cautious affair after seeing the lineups, they were in little doubt once the game started that both sides were eyeing up the three points. It was an end-to-end affair with both sides creating goal scoring opportunities. The first real chance of the game came for Cabo. Kevin Knight rose highest from a Cabinteely corner but his header went wide of the post.


Cabo’s best chance of the half fell to Oguntola, the striker found himself unmarked in the Waterford box but couldn’t find the target with his header. It was a rare miss for Oguntola who has already scored twice for Cabo since signing from Bluebell last month. This chance was quickly followed by a looping effort from Dunne. Kevin Knight cushioned his header into the path of the advancing Dunne who nearly caught out Birdsall in the Waterford goal but the ball looped just over the bar.

Waterford too had great chances, Galvin showed great dribbling to create room for a shot, he struck the ball cleanly but Whelan saved well down low to his right hand side. Galvin also went close with a header at the back post but he could only steer the ball wide. The sides went in at half time wit the game locked at nil all.


Oguntola goals per game ratio

The sides came out and Gormley made a statement of intent to go for all three points as he replaced Karl Byrne with Shane O’Neill and changed to a 4-4-2 formation.


There was an incident of real concern not long after the start of the second half. After winning the ball back for his team and passing the ball, Lloyd Cairns fell to the ground appearing to clutch his neck. After lengthy treatment on the pitch from our physio, club doctor and St. John’s ambulance, Cairns was thankfully able to walk off the pitch to the relief of all at Stradbrook. Cairns was receiving oxygen and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance, we wish him a full and speedy recovery. Cabinteely F.C. would like to thank all of the medical staff for their speedy and expert assistance.

Minutes since Waterford's previous goal

The deadlock was finally broken, and it was Waterford who were rewarded for their pressure. Galvin, who along with his brother, impressed all night was the man who opened the scoring at Stradbrook. His long range effort found it’s way into Wheelman’s bottom left corner. Whelan’s view looked to be blocked and had little time to react.

It was a goal that was probably deserved as Waterford were dominating at that time in the game. It was a goal that was long overdue for Collins’ side, their last goal came on May 15th, coincidentally against Cabinteely in the return fixture at the RSC.

Ross Broderick

Cabinteely began to really push for the equaliser, and despite the clock ticking ever closer towards 90 minutes, they knew there would be a lot of stoppage time to be added on after Lloyd Cairns’ injury. 7 minutes additional time were to be played and Cabo nearly got their equaliser straight away. Victor Ekanem rose highest from a corner but his header went wide of the post. Cabo piled on the pressure with plenty of high balls being dropped into the box but this was proving unsuccessful. Kevin Knight perhaps seeing that crossing the ball wasn’t working tried something different and let fly from 25 yards out. Knight’s shot took a deflection that sent the ball over the helpless Birdsall in the Waterford goal. Stradbrook erupted and Knight was mobbed by his team mates but the job was not done. Both sides then had their own attacks and chances to snatch the full three points. Great defending thwarted these chances at both ends. The final whistle blew and while it was only a point for Cabo, the manner in which the game finished, made it feel like they had gotten all three. They stay in 7th place above Waterford United with the gap still two points between the sides.

  • Cabinteely goals scored after 90th Minutes 26.6%
  • Cabinteely games where both teams have scored 38%
[yop_poll id=”1″]

Starting 11: Evan Whelan, Lloyd Cairns (Aaron Brilly 55′), Victor Ekanem, Edward McDonagh, Jamie Broderick, Karl Byrne (Shane O’Neill 46′), John McKeown (c), Kevin Knight, Stephen Dunne, Michael Brown (Ross Broderick 72′), Sodiq Oguntola

Subs not used: Sean Hyland, Stephen Hanley, Darren Clarke, Josh Quinlivan

Starting 11: Robert Birdsall, Dean Reidy, Colum Nugent, Shane Mackey, Shaun Corcoran, Daniel Pender, Aaron O’Connor (Mark O’Keefe 78′), Cory Galvin, Evan Galvin, Ethan Boyle, Anthony McAlavey

Subs not used: Ross Fitzpatrick, Sean Duffy, Bobbi Donoghue, Mikie Rowe, Matthew Sheehan, Mark Walsh

Referee: Eoghan O’Shea
Assistant 1: Declan Toland
Assistant 2: Alan Dunne
Fourth Official: Paul Tuite

Next Match: MK Dons

We take on MK Dons in a friendly at Stradbrook on Wednesday the 15th of July. Kick off is 19:45. Tickets for the game are available below.