Cabo’ go close but Cobh hold on for 3 points!

A long journey to Cobh went unrewarded for Cabo as Cobh picked their first points of the season under the watchful eye of new manager Stephen Henderson. Cabinteely for all their possession could not break down Cobh who were themselves saved by the woodwork on two seperate occassions.

Cabinteely came into this encounter on the back of a good win over Waterford last Friday, while Cobh who were still without a win in the league were given a real boost by the return of Stephen Henderson as manager. Henderson is held in high regard amongst Cobh fans after he guided the Cork team to the First Division title back in 2007.

The game started with Cabinteely very much in control of the game. There was early warning signs however of Cobh’s ability to counter attack particularly through their pacy left midfielder Ryan Goldsmith who was getting in behind the Cabinteely defence causing problems.


Cabinteely’s best chance of the first half came through an unlikely source. Daniel Campbell perhaps had seen Charlie Adam’s goal earlier in the day and had this in mind when he saw the Cobh goalkeeper David Browne stranded near the edge of his box. Campbell tried an ambitious effort from all of 40 yards which had Browne scrambling back, a nailed on cert for goal of the season was denied by the Cobh crossbar. An audacious effort by the right back which very nearly paid off in spectacular fashion.

Cabinteely were getting plenty of half chances, Ger Pender was doing well with his hold up play to bring other players into the game and the team was really growing in confidence in the first half. However for all of Cabo’s early dominance, they soon found themselves trailing after failing to deal with a cross.

While Cobh had mainly attacked down their left wing, the goal in the end came from an attack down the right. A cross wasnt dealt with, the ball bounced around the Cabo’ defence until Rob Waters had an easy tap in. This goal was against the run of the play but after it was scored it seemed to give Cobh some belief.

The second half started and very quickly it was easy to see what both sides game plans were. Cobh dropped deep and tried to defend what they have while Cabo’ were pressing for the equaliser. Cobh were dealing with Cabinteely’s threat but Cabo’ stuck with it and continuously tried to break down the Cobh defence as they dropped deeper and deeper.


Cabo saved their best chances for late on. A John McKeown free kick wasn’t dealt with and Ger Pender latched onto the loose ball his shot hitting the woodwork, the Cabo travelling fans got the sense that there would be one more chance and this fell to Evan Finnegan. Finnegan controlled the ball 25 yards out before striking the bouncing ball cleanly, it looked destined for the top corner before Browne pulled off an acrobatic save to deny a late equaliser.

This proved to be the last chance of the night, Eddie Gormley’s side can feel hard done by that they didn’t come away with atleast a point. They now have to turn their attention to Shamrock Rovers tomorrow night in the EA Sports Cup.

Cobh Ramblers: Browne, Murphy, Frahill, Bhandarkar, Mulcahy, McCarthy (Creamer 85), Kenny, O’Connor, Goldsmith, Waters (Stanton 76)

Cabinteely F.C.: Whelan, Campbell (Cairns 76), McGlynn, Ekanem, Maloney, Finnegan, O’Neill, McKeown, Pender, Buckley (Mazono 76) Knight

Cabinteely Man of the Match: John McKeown. He stood out in the centre of the park, looking very comfortable on the ball. He showed great composure on the ball and led by example in midfield.

Next Match: Monday April 6th against Shamrock Rovers at Stradbrook in the EA Sports Cup. Kick off for this game is the slighly earlier time of 7pm.