Cabinteely rediscovered how to stop a losing streak on Saturday evening in Stradbrook with a 0-0 draw that put a dent in UCD’s promotion chasing efforts. The home side earned a valuable point, while the Students were left frustrated in this Dublin derby.

UCD began in tidy fashion with Jason McClland and Dylan Watts settling into the game and it was the visitors who threatened first. Watts’ shot was half blocked with the ball falling to Jason Byrne, making his league debut for UCD, but Cabo keeper Michael Kelly made a great block to get the ball away.

Coming on the half hour mark Cabo perhaps really should have taken the lead. Aaron Brilly picked up a breaking ball on the right and raced into the box.

His shot was deflected into the patch of rushing Kevin Knight whose snap shot came back of the post. The ball fell to an unmarked Ben Hanrahan and it took a fine diving save from Conor O’Donnell to push the ball away to safety.

The home side were certainly giving it a go despite their perilous league position, and they were urged on by a crowd eager to see them bring some goals to what has been a tough season so far.

Further chances fell their way with Brilly, Mark Slater and Hanrahan all having half chances but nothing that UCD’s Sean Coyne or Maxi Kouogun couldn’t handle.

Towards the end of the half the Students ‘keeper O’Donnell released a long ball forward and Ryan Swan did excellently to skip past Karl Byrne. As Swan ran into the box, it was a great track back from Byrne to make a last ditch tacke that left frustrated.

It was an end to a pretty even first half and maybe a slightly better one from a Cabinteely perspective.

As dusk settled for the second half the Cabinteely ground staff switched on the Stradbrook floodlights.

Early into into the second period Cabo boss Eddie Gormley was forced to make a change. In the centre of the pitch the Students midfielder Gregg Sloggett made what seemed a regular challenge on Lee Mitchell but Mitchell stayed on the ground and needed attention before he was replaced by Andrew Wall.

There was no real chances for either team until after 65 minutes when UCD won a free kick. Byrne pumed it high, Kouogun got his head on it but the ball just clipped the back of Cabo captain Edward McDonagh and bounced off the cross bar and out.

Three minutes from time UCD substitute Georgie Kelly snapped a shot goal wards but again Kelly parried it wide across goal and that was as close as we came to a winner.

For Cabinteely, there certainly were positives to take from the 0-0 draw. A clean sheet for Michael Kelly means this was a confidence-boosting point for Cabo while the Students must look forward to getting back to winning ways with next week’s visit to Waterford United.


Match report courtesy of