Cabinteely travelled to take on Waterford United on Friday night in a game that was ultimately lost in the first half. Cabo found themselves three goals down before they got playing and left themselves with too much to do in the second half, although their second half performance will give the team confidence going forward.

Cabinteely were without Ed McDonagh, who picked up an injury against Shelbourne, Andrew Wall started at centre back in his place.

There was little over two minutes played when Waterford punished Cabo, a Lloyd Cairns pass was intercepted on the right wing and when a cross was put into the box, Gorman beat Wall to it and finished past Kelly to give the home side the lead.

McAlavey soon doubled the hosts’ lead when his shot from outside the area went into the roof of the net.

Things went from bad to worse for Cabo when McGuire was played through on the left hand side of the box and finished with aplomb into the far top corner. Cabo now finding themselves three nil down and with their work cut out for them.

Waterford had chances to extend the lead, striking the crossbar from range and a few missed one-on-ones but Cabo soon started playing to their potential and as soon as their performance picked up, they had a lifeline. Great work by Ben Hanrahan and particularly Kevin Knight down the left wing created a chance when Knight whipped a ball into the back post which was met by the onrushing Mark Slater. Slater’s header was parried by the goalkeeper but was too powerful and made it’s way over the line. 3-1 just before half time and all to play for,

At half time, Gormley made a tactical change, Cabo moved to 4-4-2 with Joe Doyle replacing Andrew Wall. Joe Doyle played up top with Ben Hanrahan while Oscar Brennan moved to centre back.

Cabo were in the ascendency in the second half and the best chance came when Cabo top goalscorer Ben Hanrahan rose highest in the box to meet a Mark Slater cross, but the 18 year old saw his headed effort hit the woodwork.

Cabo had sustained pressure and a number of corners and had they of scored in this early part of the second half it would have been game on.

For all the positives of Cabo’s second half display, one negative was an injury picked up by left back Lloyd Cairns. Cairns was caught by a Waterford player’s studs into his knee and had to be brought to hospital, hopefully it will not be too lengthy a layoff for the young defender.

Late on into the game after a fracas after the awarding of a free kick, Cabo captain Kevin Knight received a straight red card for a push, it looked like a very harsh decision on first viewing. In a huge blow, Cabo will be without Knight for three league games now.

Late on into the game, Gavin Howard became the latest Cabo youth player to progress on and make his senior debut for the club, when he replaced Shane Boyle. Congratulations to Gavin and hopefully this was the first of many.

Final score: Waterford United 3-1 Cabinteely FC

Next up for Cabo is a trip to The Showgrounds to take on Sligo Rovers this Saturday night, the 21st of May, in the FAI Cup.

Our next home game is the following Sunday against Drogheda United at Stradbrook, kick off for this game is at 7pm. Tickets are available now.