Wexford FC 1

Cabinteely FC 1

Friday 28th of April, Ferrycarrig Park, Wexford.

Ed Diggins

Wexford and Cabinteely played out a 1-1 draw in what was a frustrating Friday evening for the visitors to Ferrycarrig Park in Wexford

While Cabo fielded nine of the starting 11 who played against Waterford last week, it was a new look approach with Evan Galvin and Kevin Knight playing as wing backs while Jason Byrne started up front for the first time in this year’s Airtricity First Division.

It was a fiery affair with six players carded, three from each side. The opening quarter saw Cabinteely dominate possession and take a deserved lead on 17 minutes. Galvin, a constant menace to the Wexford rearguard, was freed down the Cabo right wing and though his cross into the box evaded Byrne it fell to the oncoming Knight who dispatched with aplomb to the Wexford net.

Wexford’s response was immediate. A long punt by goalkeeper Corey Chambers saw referee Paula Brady award a free kick on the edge of the penalty area much to the bemusement of the Cabinteely players and supporters. Up stepped former Cabo player Mark Slater who spotted a gap under the defensive wall and struck low to Michael Kelly’s right for the equaliser.

Seconds later it was almost 2-1 to the home side but Kelly was quick off his line to deny Adam Hanlon who was clear in on goal. The remainder of the half saw Cabo’s early dominance fade as Wexford grew into the game, with a 30th minute snapshot from Marty Waters well saved by Chambers, the only action of note as both sides cancelled each other out.

The second half was a cagey one, dominated for the majority by the visitors. Cabo found the home side in no mood to give up space in the final third and despite their dominance, they failed to create any chances of significance.

Cabo introduced three substitutions in quick succession to add impetus to their attack with Cory Galvin, Cian Lynch and Joe Doyle introduced, but it was to be of no avail as Wexford were content to soak up the Cabo pressure and hit on the break where the dangerous trio of Hanlon and the now introduced Shane Dunne and Lee Duffy, were lurking.

As the game entered its final stages, the best two chances fell to the hosts. On 85 minutes, a great interchange between Slater and Dunne saw the latter get free on the edge of the Cabo box but his low shot to Kelly’s right, went narrowly wide. Four minutes later Wexford again hit Cabo on the counter attack and this time it was Duffy who was afforded one final chance but Kelly dived smartly to his left to save at the expense of a corner. 

The result makes it four draws out of five for Cabo as they remain fourth in the table, while Wexford stay planted to the bottom of the table without a win and only four draws all season.



Cabinteely – Michael Kelly, Andrew Mcgovern,  Sean Fitzpatrick, Conor Keeley, Christian Lotefa, Kevin Knight, Jack Watson, Daire Doyle, Evan Galvin, Kieran Marty Waters , Jason Byrne.

Subs  - Corey Galvin (Lofeta) 69 Mins, Joe Doyle (Byrne) and Cian Lynch (Galvin) 80 Mins.

Wexford – Corey Chambers, Ricky Fox, Sean Hurley, Ross Kenny, Craig Mccabe, Oisin McCormack, Mark Slater, Craig Wall, Adam Hanlon, Eoin Porter, Danny Doyle

Subs – Shane Dunne (Fox) 66 Mins, Lee Duffy (Doyle) 78 Mins.


Attendance – 150 (estimate)

Referee – Paula Brady

Man of the Match – Kevin Knight, Cabinteely.