On a day when all the talk in Irish football was about the impact that the first Premier League game on a Friday night would have on the League of Ireland, there could not have been a better advertisement for our League than at Ferrycarrig Park. Five goals, two red cards and an injury time winner helped Wexford Youths retain top spot in the league and sent Cabinteely back up the M11 reflecting on how close they pushed the league leaders.

Youths had started the brighter but a Cabinteely attack on the 15 minutes mark led to a red card and a penalty when new signing Willie Tyrell was adjudged to have pulled down Peter Durrad as he bore down on goal. This was the third penalty Cabinteely have been awarded in three consecutive weeks. John McKeown stepped up to take it and duly slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

Wexford didnt have to wait long to find their equaliser, five minutes later a long goal kick was misjudged by Josh Quinlivan which left Danny Furlong through on goal. He showed great composure to not rush the chance before smashes home the bouncing ball from just inside the box leaving Moran with no chance.

Cabinteely soon began to make the extra man count, enjoying length periods of possession. Youths still were probing for a second though with Molloy going close and Moran being forced into an acrobatic save tipping a long range shot onto the crossbar.


Cabo’s second goal came after a prolonged period of pressure at the end of the half, the ball broke to the edge of the box to Purdy who shifted the ball to the left to his central midfield partner John McKeown who unleashed a brilliant strike from 25 yards which found it’s way into the bottom corner on the stroke of half time. McKeown’s third goal against Wexford Youths this season.

Cabinteely had chances in the second half to make it 3-1, as a result of the red card Wexford were being caught short at the back and were vulnerable on the counter attack but Cabinteely couldn’t find a third. The game swung at the 70th minute mark when John McKeown picked up a second yellow card for what the ref deemed to be a dive. With both sides now down to ten it was game on and Youths began to really push for an equaliser.


Unfortunately for Cabo, Wexford got their equaliser in the 87th minute through Danny Furlong after he bundled the ball in after a long ball into the box. This was Furlong’s 8th goal against Cabo this year.

Three minutes later and Youths had their winner through a carbon copy of their second. A long ball into the area was headed home by Delaney sending Ferrycarrig Park into raptures. A repeat of the return leg at Stradbrook when Wexford won 3-2 after a 90th minute goal.

Cabo picked themselves up and went looking for an equaliser. The best chance came through a Michael Brown free kick on the edge of the area, Brown looking to repeat his free kick heroics from last week against Athlone, but his effort was well saved.

Cabo can take credit from how far they pushed the league leaders in what was a thrilling game. As we look towards our final run of games Cabo can rightfully feel like there is no team they cannot beat after their recent run of performances.

Man of the Match: John McKeown. The captain led by example not only in scoring the two goals but also in his use of the ball and work-rate in the centre of midfield.